Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Tangy Purple Coleslaw

     I have a never ending problem in my refrigerator, its called a purple head of cabbage.  It seems like I always have a partial head of purple cabbage in the crisper.  Mainly because I am constantly making these....



&



.....and you should too, or at least give them a try.  Both of these salads are refreshing mid-winter treats.  I've definitely been on a salad kick lately, I think it's that period of winter where you start to crave summer fresh recipes again.

     Now back to the issue at hand, this purple cabbage thing.  I always end up with a leftover hunk of cabbage when I make these salads.  I can make both of the salads from one head of cabbage and still have about half of a head left over.  I could always just throw it in the compost bin but I really don't like wasting food.  So I thought I would try to come up with some way to use it.  And sometimes when the culinary stars align, ideas turn into recipes effortlessly.   

Tangy Purple Coleslaw


Ingredient List

5-6 cups finely chopped purple cabbage
2 medium carrots, shredded
3/4 cup chopped white onion
1/2 cup vegenaise, mayo or miracle whip (whatever you like)
2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 tbsp honey or other liquid sweetner such as pure maple syrup
S&P to taste (I went heavy on both)


Directions
  1. Process cabbage in food processor by pulsing until finely chopped.  
  2. Shred carrots in food processor and add to bowl of cabbage.
  3. Roughly chop onion and add to cabbage and carrot mixture.
  4. In a separate small bowl, whisk together mayo, lemon juice, apple cider vinegar, honey and S&P.
  5. Combine dressing and slaw mix until thoroughly coated. 
  6. Set in fridge for at least 15 minutes before serving.    



     I served this coleslaw with my GranMa's famous fried catfish recipe.  I am lucky enough to have watched her make her catfish enough to come really close to perfecting her technique.  It is seriously the most amazing catfish in the whole wide world.  It's crispy on the outside, moist & flaky on the inside, perfecty seasoned and uuuggghhh it's so freaking amazing.  And of course no southern catfish plate is complete without a slice of non-nutritious plain ole' white bread.






     

No comments:

Post a Comment